Name: Scott Coletti
Date: 6-25-97 (Wed.)
Student Population: 6/7/8 graders (on and off grade level, +/- 3 grades)
Unit Goal-Students will name geological features of Warrego Vallis
on Mars, use digital image processing and analysis software in preparation
to play the Mars Mystery Spot (Array) Game.
Lesson Objective-Students will use NIH Image, writing report on
Lookup tables (LUTs), Image Map (contrast and brightness), filters and
Marco processing of the Warrego Vallis image.
Student helper will be directed to go through steps 1c-6c. Students will
be helped and encouraged as teacher circulates through understanding
check and facilitation.
- Anticipatory Set-Students will:
- View 1 minute Mars briefing clip from videos titled "Live From
Mars: COUNTDOWN" OR "Live From Mars: CRUISING BETWEEN THE PLANETS" from
the Broadcast components of the Live From Mars project". Alternatively
you can use Mars clip embedded in The Plane
ts" by BMG.
- Instruction Set-Teacher will:
- Show video and explain lesson activity/word bank (flatten for your
population)on white board.
- Randomly select 3 students to read student handout aloud.
- Select one student helper for Demonstration of steps 1c-6c on LCD
- Check for understanding by having students highlight each of the three
tools one at a time (LUT tool, Image Map and processing (filters) menu
from command line) in NIH Image.
- Direct and help students to open the lessons image file.
- Facilitate student use of software tools, analysis and writing task.
- Turn on background music of Holtz "The Planets".
- Annotate individual student records as facilitation proceeds.
Students will be brought together as class. 10 students at a time will
be allowed to get up and "schmooz" with other students, asking questions
and listening to explanations. Teacher will call for the shut down of
the lab 3 minutes before passing bell
Independent Practice- NONE
Materials & Equipment-
Access to Mac/s, Student Handout, NIH Image 1.60 or newer, Learner
records printed for annotation, Image file of Warrego Vallis on Mars,
videos titled "Live From Mars: COUNTDOWN" OR "Live From Mars: CRUISING
BETWEEN THE PLANETS", AV hardware.